Skip to content
Programs : Brochure
This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
ICCS, Rome
Rome, Italy (Outgoing Program)
Program Terms:
Program Terms: Fall,
Layout wrapper table for buttons
Layout table containing buttons
Request Advising
Budget Sheets Fall,
Dates / Deadlines: - unrelated header
Dates / Deadlines:
Tabular data for Dates / Deadlines:
Term Year App Deadline Decision Date Start Date End Date
Spring 2019 09/21/2018 10/31/2018 TBA TBA
Fact Sheet: - unrelated header
Fact Sheet:
#i18n(14)# parameter/value output
Language of Instruction: English
Glossary entry for program parameter 10006
Class Eligibility:
2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior (fall only)
Minimum GPA: 3.0
Glossary entry for program parameter 10000
Housing Options:
Maximum Credits Earned (per semester): 4.0
Program Description:
Program Description:

overview button  academics buttons  Academics Excursions button  date and Flights buttons  finances buttons  Health Buttons  housing button  Internships button  visas button  student perspectives button  button contact

Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies - Rome, Italy

Classical studies majors may select to study abroad in Rome through the Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies (ICCS) program. Students study the concept of Rome as "The Ancient City," Renaissance and Baroque art history, as well as language courses in Latin, Greek and Italian.

For more information, please visit the ICCS Rome website.

Note: You must apply and be accepted through Dickinson before finishing and submitting a partner program application. Partner program providers make all final admissions decisions. 

Rome, Italy

The Intercollegiate Center for Classical Studies in Rome (ICCS) was established in 1965 by representatives of ten American colleges and universities; the number of member institutions has now grown to over 100. It provides undergraduate students with an opportunity in Rome to study ancient history, archaeology, Greek and Latin literature, Italian language, and ancient art.

Located in a four-story building on one of the main streets of the Janiculum, the Center is ten minutes by bus from the Piazza Venezia and downtown Rome. It is close to the American Academy in Rome with which it maintains cordial relations.


Students are expected to take four courses, which is a minimum and normal load; a few students take five courses. A major part of the academic work is a required comprehensive and integrated course called The Ancient City.  It is a two-credit course which requires as much class and study time as two semester courses. It covers Roman archaeology and topography, aspects of social and urban history of Rome, and Roman civilization. Frequent site visits and explorations, intensive museum tours and lectures, and wider-ranging trips based on the Professor-in-Charge's area's of expertise outside Rome are included as part of the course. In the recent past, Campania and Sicily have been the focus of extended and focused study. Because The Ancient City course depends on prior knowledge of Roman history, students are expected to prepare themselves by taking a Roman history course or by careful reading on the subject.

Students are required to take at least one course in Latin or Greek as part of their ICCS curriculum.


This Partner program requires students to have:

  • 3.0 GPA
  • Classical Studies majors are encouraged to apply
  • All students must have a declared major at the time of application.

As a part of the review process students’ conduct records and account status are also reviewed. Students and their parents should note that the review process takes all elements of the student’s academic record into consideration and that even if a student has the required minimum GPA and language prerequisites, he or she may not be admitted.

Students who have questions about the review process or their particular candidacy for a program should come into the Center for Global Study and Engagement for advising.

Center staff will not discuss students’ applications with parents, friends or any other party without the student’s consent and presence in the conversation.

What areas of study are available?

Students on the ICCS Classical Studies program will take courses applicable to their Classical Studies major, as well as Renaissance and Baroque Art History, Latin or Greek at the appropriate level (independent study is available), and elementary Italian.

What is the language of instruction?

Classes are taught in English by faculty from the United States and Canada. Aside from taking at least one Latin or Greek course while in Rome, there is no language requirement.

How many credits will I earn?

Students earn 4 to 5 credits per semester. The class “The Ancient City” carries two credits; all other courses are worth one credit.

Will the courses count towards my major?

Many courses taken on the ICCS-Rome program can count towards your major. You should check with your academic advisor on campus prior to course selection.

Generally speaking, courses must have an equivalent at Dickinson. Exceptions include classes that focus on the culture and/or history of the country in which the student is studying. Transfer credit will not be awarded for coursework that duplicates what a student has already completed at Dickinson.

Will they count in my GPA?

All courses will count in your Dickinson GPA.

What excursions are available?

During both the fall and spring semesters, students participate in a variety of field trips (several days long) to locations such as Sicily and Campania, which will bolster in-class experiences. Site visits in and around Rome will also supplement coursework.

What expenses are covered during excursions?

Students’ lodging costs will be covered during overnight excursions.  Also, any meals that would not be otherwise covered by a standard meal stipend for all students on the program will be covered.  Group transportation to and from the excursion site, as well as group travel for all group activities will be covered.  Students will not be reimbursed for snacks, personal travel and personal activities during an academic excursion.

When will I find out where and when we’re travelling?

Specific dates for longer excursions will be announced at the beginning of the semester.  Local site visits in and around Rome will be organized and announced during the semester.

Can a friend or family member who is not on the program also travel with us?

No, unfortunately, for logistical and academic reasons non program participants are not able to join the program for excursions.

Are excursions optional?

Not necessarily.  These excursions are linked to your academic program and, in some cases, content delivered through the excursion will be relevant to a student’s studies and assessment.  All students should plan to participate in all excursions.  If a student misses an excursion or a planned departure for a trip, these arrangements and costs will not be made up for the student.  It is each student’s responsibility to be where they need to be in order to participate fully in each academic excursion.

When is orientation?

In addition to the full day mandatory pre-departure orientation you'll have at Dickinson, there is an orientation immediately upon arrival in Rome.

What are the program dates?

Tentative dates for the fall and spring sessions can be found here.

Is there a group flight?

No, students are responsible for arranging their own travel to Rome. ICCS will provide you with travel details; do not book any travel until you have received this information.

What if my family wants to visit me?

If you have family or friends who are planning to visit you, please do not make travel plans until you arrive at the program and become familiar with your class schedule and program excursions.  It is not acceptable to skip class for personal travel.

When will I have time to travel?

Aside from ICCS excursions, students may travel on their own during breaks when classes are not in session--for example, during fall or spring break. It is not acceptable to skip class for personal travel.

Can I arrive early or stay after the program ends?

Students may arrive early or stay late if they wish to travel on their own when classes are not in session.  Please note that if you choose to arrive early or stay late, you will not be able to stay in your program housing.  You should also consider your visa validity when you make the decision of whether or not you may arrive early or stay late.  No student may arrive late for the start of the program.

How much does the program cost?

Students pay Dickinson comprehensive fees to attend this program. The cost includes all tuition, room, board, and local travel. However, airfare and visas are not included in this cost. See budget sheet.

What is included in the program fee?

The fee covers tuition and fees, room, board (15 meals per week), board allowance, transcript fees, scheduled academic excursions and park entrance fees, required socialized health care fee for Italy--not a substitute for primary health insurance, emergency medical insurance, pre-departure and on-site orientation, and the orientation handbook.

How much extra money do I need to bring?

This depends on you.  We encourage students to not travel every weekend, but to really engage their host city in meaningful ways during their semester abroad.  An estimate of personal expenses is included on the budget sheet, but it really depends on you and your spending habits.

How will I access my money while in Italy?

ATMs connected to international networks such as Cirrus and Plus allow you to retrieve cash in the local currency directly from your bank account in the United States.  Inquire at your bank to be sure that your ATM card will allow cash withdrawals abroad.  ATMs overseas will accept only cards that access checking accounts in your name.

Will I receive a stipend?

No, you will not receive a stipend. The $1100 board allowance will be deducted from the Dickinson comprehensive fee when Student Accounts posts the student's bill. This means that you need to have access to these funds while in Italy to be able to use them for their intended purpose (i.e. purchasing food).

How do I access health care in Rome?

Good medical care is available in Rome.  English-speaking physicians are available for program students.  You will be responsible for paying the office fee and submitting receipts to your insurance company for reimbursement.

Dickinson also provides students with medical and travel security assistance through International SOS. See health and insurance abroad for more information.

Where will I live?

Students will live in dormitory-style bedrooms at the Center, located near downtown Rome. The building also contains classrooms, a library, offices, dining rooms, a kitchen, and outdoor grounds.

Where will I eat?

Included in board are three meals a day, five days a week (i.e. Monday-Friday). On weekends, students are expected to arrange their own meals; you will use the board allowance to pay for this food.

Are internships available?

Internships are not available on this program.

Can I conduct research while abroad?

Students may be able to conduct research abroad under the guidance of a Dickinson advisor. The Student International Research Fund (SIRF) was established to help students with extra travel costs associated with independent research projects.  Students are encouraged to present their research at the International Research Symposium when they return to campus.

What is a visa?

A visa is a document, normally affixed within your passport, which allows you to enter the country and stay for the duration of your program.  The requirements for the visa and visa process are controlled by the government of the country you are entering, are non-negotiable, and can change regularly.  If you arrive without the proper visa, you will be sent home by immigration officers at your own expense.

Do I need a visa?

A student visa is required to participate in the Bologna program.  If you do not hold a US passport, you should consult with the Italian embassy in your country of citizenship for the student visa requirements. Obtaining a student visa is the student’s responsibility. We will review the guidelines for obtaining a student visa at the Pre-departure Orientation.

We have produced visa guidelines to provide you with an overview of what you will need to do to obtain a student visa.  Please note: this is only a tool to help you get started!  It is not a substitute for consulting with the Italian consulate that has jurisdiction over your state of home residence.  Make sure you are familiar with the most up-to-date regulations by visiting their website frequently. Also, you need to ensure that your passport is valid for 6 months after the program end date.

How do I get a visa?

You will need to make an appointment at the Italian consulate in order to submit previously-gathered documents that are required for the visa.  Please consult the Visa Guidelines for your country of study.

Do I have to go to the consulate/embassy?

Yes, you will need to make a visa appointment at the Italian consulate in Philadelphia or the Italian consulate that presides over your home state jurisdiction in order to submit your student visa application.

How much does a visa cost?

Currently, there is no visa fee for an Italian study visa; however this is subject to change.  Be sure to check the consulate’s website for any fee change before you submit your visa paperwork.

How long does it take to receive my visa?

At the Philadelphia consulate, it can take over 4 weeks to obtain a student visa. You will need to relinquish your passport to the consulate in order to obtain your visa; do not make plans to travel internationally during this time.

If I’m not a U.S. passport holder, are there any additional requirements?

Yes, you will need to do your own research on visa requirements for citizens of your home country to study in the UK. The CGSE may be able to help you with the required documents. Also, you will need to inform International Student Services that you will be studying outside of the United States and discuss how you will remain in valid F-1 status during your studies abroad.

May I use a visa service to get a visa?

Yes, there may be visa services that can assist you in obtaining the student visa.  You will need to research these providers and their fees and timetables.

Global Ambassadors are returning off-campus studies students who serve as peer advisors for their program. Currently, there are no Global Ambassadors for this program. Contact the CGSE for more information.

For more information, contact:

Advisors (Please call for an appointment):

Center for Global Study and Engagement
Dickinson College

Prof. Christopher Francese, On-Campus Coordinator
Department of Classical Studies
Tel. (717) 245-1202
Duke ICCS:

Layout wrapper table for buttons
Layout table containing buttons