Skip to content
Programs : Brochure
This page is the brochure for your selected program. You can view the provided information for this program on this page and click on the available buttons for additional options.
Dickinson in England (Math and Sciences)
Norwich, United Kingdom (Outgoing Program)
Program Terms:
Program Terms: Academic Year,
Layout wrapper table for buttons
Layout table containing buttons
This program is currently not accepting applications.
Request Advising
Budget Sheets Academic Year,
Dates / Deadlines: - unrelated header
Dates / Deadlines:
There are currently no active application cycles for this program.
Fact Sheet: - unrelated header
Fact Sheet:
#i18n(14)# parameter/value output
Language of Instruction: English
Glossary entry for program parameter 10006
Class Eligibility:
2-Sophomore, 3-Junior, 4-Senior (fall only)
Minimum GPA: 3.0
Glossary entry for program parameter 10000
Housing Options:
Maximum Credits Earned (per semester): 4.0 Academic Area of Study: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Science, Economics, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Mathematics, Neuroscience, Physics, Psychology
Glossary entry for program parameter 10009
Foreign Language Prerequisite:
none Course Prereqs: At least 1 semester of lab science
Program Description:
Program Description:

overview button  academics buttons  Academics Excursions button  date and Flights buttons  finances buttons  Health Buttons  housing button  Internships button  visas button  student perspectives button  button contact


The University of East Anglia

Dickinson operates one the largest study abroad program based at the University of East Anglia (UEA), located just a short bus ride from the center of Norwich. Typically, 15-25 students participate in the Norwich Humanities Program each year, and 10-20 students participate in the Norwich Math and Sciences Program each semester, with several remaining at UEA for the entire academic year. 

Classes are held at UEA's campus on "The Broads," 270 acres of open parkland on the outskirts of Norwich with views of rivers, woods and meadows from all angles. University buildings are connected by elevated pedestrian walkways.

UEA is well known for the quality of its academic programs, and the structure of the Dickinson programs allows students to select courses from a variety of "schools" (departments) at UEA while enrolled in two Dickinson core courses. Many UEA faculty members are leading scholars in their fields, and the university library contains 500,000 volumes and more than 2,500 periodicals. The campus offers many social opportunities through various clubs and organizations, and a new state-of-the-art sports facility provides for recreational pursuits.

For more information, please visit the UEA Study Abroad website.

Note: You must apply and be accepted through Dickinson before finishing and submitting a host institution application. Host institutions make all final admissions decisions. 

Find more details below and in the Dickinson in England HANDBOOK

University of East Anglia tops student experience poll – read more here.


The expectations to apply for this program are as follows:
  • 3.0 GPA
  • A demonstrated academic interest in the disciplines covered in the program, as most courses taken at UEA will be in one discipline.
  • All students must have a declared major at the time of application.
  • As a part of the review process students’ conduct records and account status are also reviewed.  Students and their parents should note that the review process takes all elements of the student’s academic record into consideration and that even if a student has the expected GPA and language pre-requisites, he or she may not be admitted.
  • Note: Under the most recent U.K. visa rules, it is very challenging and expensive for students to switch from the 90-day visa required for the fall-only experience to the visa for the full-year students (which requires submissions of documents and approval before leaving the U.S.). Students can switch from fall-only to full-year up until registering for UEA courses in late March or early April, depending on academic scheduling. Students who wish to study at UEA (Humanities or Math and Sciences) should think carefully before applying for fall-only or full-year programs. 

Students who have questions about the review process or their particular candidacy for a program should come into the Center for Global Study and Engagement for advising.

Center staff will not discuss students’ applications with parents, friends or any other party without the student’s consent and presence in the conversation.


Participants in the Norwich Math and Sciences Program have full access to the course offerings and research opportunities of a major research university, while at the same time participating in the program-specific curriculum offered by the Dickinson Resident Director. UEA has highly regarded programs in the sciences, particularly in the areas of environmental science, biology and chemistry.

In addition to the three UEA science courses taken each semester, a required Dickinson course is taught by the Norwich Math and Sciences Resident Director. Prior to the start of the fall semester in Norwich, a three-week experiential History of Science course is held in London and various locations throughout England. In London, museums, libraries and historical sites are used as natural laboratories for investigating the development of science from the mid-1600s to the present. Other sites throughout England of historical significance to the Industrial Revolution also are visited. Using an active learning approach, students conduct walking tours, research the lives of individual scientists and present their findings to the group.

The spring semester Dickinson course, chosen at the discretion of the Resident Director, is either The Science of Sustainability or Science and Society. Both are general science courses, and both incorporate a field experience while engaging students in science-oriented topics. At the outset of the semester, these courses integrate experiential learning through visits to various locations so students can explore the strides this country has made in sustainable living and development. The location of the excursion is at the discretion of the Resident Director; past groups have traveled to Iceland, Wales, Norway, and Sweden.

Science 258: Topics in History of Science
The nature of science as a major aspect of Western civilization. Examines science and the scientific enterprise by devoting particular attention to the following: the structuring of basic assumptions about nature and method; social, cultural, and religious dimensions of scientific change and discovery; noted developments in the physical and life sciences. Topics vary and will be announced each term. Recent topics have included: The Scientific Revolution, History of the Physical Sciences, Development of Cosmology, Science and Religion, Light in Science and Art, and Ethnoastronomy.

Science 300: Science and Society- This course explores cultural, philosophical, and ethical aspects of the interplay between science and society. Particular emphasis will be placed on differences in perspective on scientific issues between Europe and the United States. Examples could include, but not be limited to, topics such as biotechnology, the environment, evolution, and health care, and their past and present representation in the media, literature and art.

Science 301: Sustainability Science- This course explores the role of science in environmental sustainability. Particular emphasis will be placed on population growth, biodiversity, renewable vs. nonrenewable natural resources (e.g., water, soil, energy, minerals), and temporal limits of nonrenewable natural resources (e.g., peak oil). Intercultural differences in perspective on sustainability issues will be examined between the UK, EU, and US.

The excellent opportunities for research at UEA include project-based courses taken in the respective science schools and opportunities at the Norwich Research Park and the new Norfolk and Norwich Hospital/Medical School. Student research topics have included cancer cell genetics, cataract development, environmental politics in Europe and plant genes.


How is instruction different?

It may well come as a surprise to you how different the academic practices at UEA are from what you are used to at Dickinson College. This includes teaching practices, classroom expectations, student-teacher relationships, exam schedules, assessments, subject matters, and more. Most students adjust positively to the different academic situation and take advantage of the opportunity to learn from a new perspective. For example, most UEA courses require lots of independent reading.

*Program participants are to respect and abide by all University regulations and customs.

Typically, the most difficult academic adjustments for American students are:

1) Learning to manage time: There is much more out of class “free” time at UEA. Assignments (course work) and exams are fewer and less frequent. They are also more heavily weighted with final exams and/or final papers typically accounting for 75% or more of the semester's grade. 
2) Taking responsibility for planning all your work for each course. Schedule regular study time; do not let the work pile up. Talk with tutors, faculty, and/or your UEA academic adviser early if you sense any problems.

What classes are available?

UEA courses and brief descriptions are listed on the UEA website.

All students going for the fall semester or academic year are required to take the program-specific course Science 258: History of Science (worth 1 Dickinson College credit) that begins in London in August and continues into the fall semester. Spring semester science students are required to take the program-specific course Science 300: Science and Society or Science 301: The Science of Sustainability. The Resident Director will decide which program-specific course to offer during the spring semester.

Fall semester science students can receive up to 4 credits for successfully completing their Science 258: History of Science (worth 1 Dickinson College credit each) and 3 UEA (60 UCU's) courses.

Spring semester science students can receive up to 4 credits for successfully completing their Science 300: Science and Society or Science 301: The Science of Sustainability (worth 1 Dickinson College credit each) and 3 UEA (60 credits) courses.

Academic year science students will receive 8 Dickinson course credits for successfully completing their Science 258: History of Science course in the fall semester and Science 300: Science and Society or Science 301: The Science of Sustainability course in the spring semester (worth 1 Dickinson College credit each) and 3 UEA courses (60 UCU's) courses each semester.

Students are expected to maintain a full course load at all times.

Science students should plan to take mostly science courses while at UEA. It is not customary for students at English universities to cross over to other schools because students complete their ‘general education’ before entering university and focus on their major field at university. Since non-science fields have limited enrollment slots, science students generally have difficulty getting into those courses.

Many science courses at UEA have a lab component built into the course but others do not. Some have field course options, which frequently take place before the semester begins or during semester breaks. These are excellent experiences and students should take them into consideration. Any student who is considering taking a course with a pre-semester component should discuss this with the Resident Director, as it may have a significant impact on the Science 258: History of Science experience in London. 

The most exciting independent research projects will require some fashion of on-going community engagement or use of site-specific resources. Only students holding a visa for the academic year study may hold paid positions and the visa may limit the number of hours per week for which the student is paid. In the past many Dickinson students have had learning experiences of lasting value through volunteer work or internships.

While UEA does not have a formal intern system, many positions (both paid and voluntary) can be found both on and off campus. If you are looking for an internship, a good place to start is at the Volunteer Office at UEA.

The Volunteer Office can help you set up an account, which will allow you to be e-mailed with possible application sites. They can also help you translate your résumé into a CV. Another option is to talk to your professors at UEA, as they may know of opportunities for you to work as a research assistant for post-graduate students and other researchers. Many organizations in England do not advertise internship (work experience) opportunities. Therefore, you will need to inquire directly to the organization to ask about potential placements. One possibility suggested by past students is the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital located on the outskirts of the campus near the Research Park. In order to volunteer at this location or similar ones, you will need to be on campus for the whole year and bring a US Criminal Records check with you. For more information, please check with your Program Director.

When will I register for classes?

Students will make preliminary course selections at Dickinson with the guidance of their major advisers and the On Campus Coordinator. Registration for classes is handled directly by the UEA Study Abroad Office. Course requests made by students will go straight to UEA, and students will receive their schedules directly via e-mail. There will be some opportunity to make last-minute adjustments to your schedule when you arrive at UEA.

Will the courses count towards my major?

The following departments at Dickinson have made UEA course equivalencies available on their website. All other majors handle this on a student-by-student basis, and students should talk with their adviser(s). If you have any questions, please contact the department directly.

Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (BCMB):
Earth Sciences: 

Will they count in my GPA?

The Norwich Math and Sciences program courses (258, 300, and 301) are “Dickinson courses.” Letter grades earned for these courses will be included in the student’s GPA.

Likewise, all UEA courses in the following fields are approved as “Dickinson courses” by the appropriate Dickinson academic departments. Letter grades earned for these courses will be included in the student’s GPA for:
•Sciences: Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Geology, Mathematics, Psychology, and Computer Science. English, American Studies, Economics, History, Art and Art History, Theatre, Film Studies, Music, Philosophy, and Religion. Courses in Sociology will also count as approved Dickinson courses, except for core courses 240, 241, and 330/331, for which pre-approval is required. 

What is a full course load and How will my courses transfer?

Students must take a normal full load as defined by their program. Students may not under-enroll under any circumstances. If a student registers for more than the maximum courses allowed without permission from the Resident Director, their academic advisor at Dickinson, and the Center for Global Study and Engagement, the course credit will not transfer. Students will also be responsible for any additional fees for doing this.

Only liberal arts classes will qualify for transfer credit. If in doubt, consult the on-campus director or resident director as appropriate.

Generally speaking, courses must have an equivalent at Dickinson. Exceptions include classes that focus on the culture and/or history of the country in which the student is studying.

Transfer credit will not be awarded for coursework that duplicates what a student has already completed at Dickinson.

All other UEA courses will be listed on the Dickinson transcript with letter grades earned, but will NOT be computed into the student’s GPA. For these courses, credit toward the degree will be granted only if grades of “C” (2.00 on a 4.00 scale) or better have been earned. Official UEA transcripts of the grades earned at the University are kept in the student’s permanent file in the Registrar’s Office at Dickinson College.

Is there a language requirement?

No. England is an English speaking country.

Academic Excursions

Does this program include any group travel once I’m in country?

Yes, it does. Participants in this program typically enjoy day excursions to numerous historic and cultural sites around Norwich and the Norfolk region as components of the core courses. All fall students will spend the first three weeks of the fall program in London. In addition, academic year and spring participants will spend about five days in the field in the spring semester (over part of their extended spring/Easter break) to do research and work that will supplement the Science of Sustainability or Science and Society core course. The location of this excursion is at the discretion of the Resident Director; past groups have traveled to Iceland, Wales, Norway and Sweden. Excursions may not be the same from year to year.

What expenses are covered during excursions?

London 2Students’ lodging costs will be covered during included overnight excursions. Also, any meals that would not be otherwise covered by a standard meal stipend for all students on the program will be covered. Group transportation to and from the excursion site, as well as group travel for all group activities will be covered. Students will not be reimbursed for snacks, personal travel and personal activities during an academic excursion. Excursions deemed optional by the Resident Director may require additional payment on the part of the student for participation.

When will I find out where and when we’re travelling?

Specific dates and locations for the multi-day excursions will be announced during the semester. Site visits in and around Norwich will be organized and announced by the professor during throughout the semester.

Can a friend or family member who is not on the program also travel with us?

No, unfortunately, for logistical and academic reasons non program participants are not able to join the program for excursions.

Are excursions optional?

Not usually. These excursions are linked to your academic program and, in some cases, content delivered through the excursion will be relevant to a student’s studies and assessment. All students should plan to participate in all excursions. If a student misses an excursion or a planned departure for a trip, these arrangements and costs will not be made up for the student. It is each student’s responsibility to be where they need to be in order to participate fully in each academic excursion.

Norwich City

Dates and Flights

When is orientation?

Orientation for international programs is held in October or November, March or April, each semester.  You will be notified of your orientation date in your Decision Letter on Studio Abroad.

In addition to the mandatory pre-departure orientation you’ll have on campus the semester prior to your program, there will be an on-site orientation for this program. In the UK, students’ on-site orientation begins immediately after you arrive in London. Although academic in purpose, many features of the History of Science course are designed to help students orient themselves to life in the UK. Once in Norwich, further activities, both in the form of UEA’s international student orientation as well as Dickinson program orientation occur the week before classes begin.

What are the tentative program dates?

Dickinson in England (Math and Sciences) ACADEMIC CALENDAR

Is there a group flight?

Unless otherwise stated, the CGSE does not arrange group flights. Students are responsible for booking their own travel to/from England. Accepted students will be given a timeframe in which they should plan to arrive and depart. Students should not purchase their flights until instructed to do so by the CGSE and/or on-site staff. We encourage students to carefully review the change fees and cancellation policies before booking a flight.
The CGSE does not endorse any particular travel agent or booking website but does provide additional guidance about booking flights on the CGSE website.

What if my family wants to visit me?

Great! But, please do not make travel plans until you arrive at the program and become familiar with your class schedule and program excursions. It is not acceptable to skip class for personal travel.

When will I have time to travel?

You will travel in and around London as you work your way through the core course in the fall and spring semesters. There will also be day-long group academic excursions during each semester. Academic year students in Norwich are permitted to use their housing for the entire academic year, so many students travel extensively on their own during the winter and spring break holidays when classes are not in session.

Can I arrive early or stay after the program ends?

Students may not arrive early or stay late in UEA or Dickinson-provided housing. However, students may choose to travel on their own either before or after the program. You should consider your visa validity when you make the decision of whether or not you may arrive early or stay late. No student may arrive late for the start of the program.


How much does the program cost?

The program budget sheet can be found at the top of this page under "Fall, Spring, and Year" to the left of the Apply Now button.

What is included in the program fee?

The fee includes tuition, room, board, academic excursions and emergency insurance.  Airfare and visa fees are not included.  The budget sheet also lists additional fees students should anticipate.

Is my flight included?

The flight is not included but the cost is taken into consideration when your financial aid need is calculated for your semester abroad.

How much extra money do I need to bring?

This depends on you. We encourage students to not travel every weekend, but to really engage their host city in meaningful ways during their semester abroad. An estimate of personal expenses is included on the budget sheet, but it really depends on you and your spending habits.

Will I receive a stipend?

Yes, since there is no board plan at UEA, you will receive a food allowance for food. You will also receive a food stipend during your time in London. Your residence hall will contain a kitchen and you will receive a small stipend to assist with setting up the kitchen in the flat. There is a well-stocked convenience store on campus and several grocery stores a short bus ride away. You will also receive a bus pass in Norwich.

How will I access my money in Norwich?

If you have an ATM card that draws on a U.S. checking account in your name (NOT a savings account) and shows a CIRRUS symbol, you should be able access it throughout Europe. You should talk with your bank about your travel plans and to make sure you can use your ATM card while studying abroad. It’s not necessary to open up a British bank account, but some students find it helpful, particularly if they are working in Norwich. These accounts are normally free to set-up and make withdrawing money around England, and often, Europe, much easier, since debit cards drawing on these accounts can be used almost everywhere. Currency can be exchanged at a low interest rate at the Campus Post Office.

Can I work while I’m abroad?

Students with a full student visa are permitted to volunteer and/or work for pay but there may be restrictions on the number of hours per week you may work. Students on a student-visitor visa are not permitted to do either. You will first need a Temporary National Insurance Number, which can be acquired through the International Students Office. On-campus employment is limited; however, there are many cafés, shops, and pubs that generally employ students off-campus and in the city. If you are interested, discuss this in further detail with the Resident Director. 

Should I buy and international cell plan or purchase a mobile phone in the UK?

Most students purchase UK cell phones with a pay-as-you-go plan. The Resident Director will have suggestions and will have allocated time for purchasing very affordable UK/International pay-as-you-go phones upon arrival.

Are there scholarships available for this program?

Dickinson scholarships and aid applies to all Dickinson and Dickinson partner programs; Dickinson does not offer additional scholarships for study abroad.  For more information, please visit our Scholarships for Global Study page. 


How do I access health care at UEA?

There is a University Medical Centre on campus. Generally, medical care is free to full year students, through the National Health Service (NHS), although a small co-payment is required for prescriptions or services that are not medically necessary. Students studying for a semester will be required to pay for their visits to the medical centre and obtain reimbursement from their insurance carrier.

How much will it cost to go the University Medical Centre?

Based on student feedback, you should plan to pay about 20GBP for a visit to the medical centre for a routine medical issue.

Dickinson also provides students with medical and travel security assistance through International SOS. Please visit our Health and Insurance Abroad page for more information.


Where will I live?

During the first few weeks in London, you will be housed in a hotel in downtown London. Typically, The Ridgemount Hotel is used for accommodations. You will live in shared accommodations. At UEA, you will be housed in “The Village”, co-ed university housing which consists of fully furnished, single rooms with private baths.  Twelve students live on each floor and each floor contains a kitchen that includes a cupboard, refrigerator, freezer, stove, microwave, and grill.

When do I find out where I will live?

On arrival in London, you will be given your roommate assignments. On arrival in Norwich, you will find out your exact housing assignment and be given a key.

Who will I live with?

In London, you will live with Dickinson students. At UEA, your residence hall caters to international students and first years (or “freshers”).  You can read more about the The VIllage on UEA's website.

Will I have my own bathroom?

In London, you will share bathroom facilities. At UEA, you will have your own private bathroom.

Will I have access to a kitchen, laundry facilities?

In London, there is not a kitchen available for students to cook meals. Typically, students eat breakfast at the hotel and will eat out for other meals. At UEA, there is a common kitchen in the apartment with shared refrigerator and appliances. Laundry facilities are accessible at The Village.

What if I don’t get along with my roommates?

Mechanisms exist to trade rooms with other students if you still wish to change your placement after a reasonable time. Most students settle in, make friends, and stay where they are originally placed.

Will I have internet access in my apartment?

Yes, internet is available in your flat.


Are internships available?

Internships are not generally available; however, many students have undertaken independent research projects while in Norwich.

Can I conduct research while abroad?

Students can conduct research abroad under the guidance of a Dickinson advisor or UEA faculty member. Students are encouraged to investigate UEA faculty interests and e-mail faculty asking about research opportunities during the term before they arrive in Norwich. The Student International Research Fund (SIRF) was established to help students with extra travel costs associated with independent research projects. Students are encouraged to present their research at the International Research Symposium when they return to campus.


What is a visa?

A visa is a document, normally affixed within your passport, which allows you to enter the country and stay for the duration of your program. The requirements for the visa and visa process are controlled by the government of the country you are entering, are non-negotiable, and can change regularly. If you arrive without the proper visa, you will be sent home by immigration officers at your own expense.

Do I need a visa?

Dickinson in England VISA GUIDELINES

A student visa is required to participate in the Norwich program. If you do not hold a U.S. passport, you should consult with the British embassy in your country of citizenship for the student visa requirements. Under new recommendations from UEA, U.S. passport holders only studying for one semester in the UK, should obtain a Short Term Study Visa prior to arrival in the UK. Academic year participants are required to obtain a Tier 4 Student Visa prior to arrival in the UK..

We have produced visa guidelines for fall/spring semester and the academic year to provide you with an overview of what you will need to do to obtain a student visa. Please note: this is only a tool to help you get started! It is not a substitute for consulting with the British Consulate that has jurisdiction over your state of home residence. Make sure you are familiar with the most up-to-date regulations by visiting their website frequently.

Also, you need to ensure that your passport is valid for 6 months after the program end date.

NOTE: Under the most recent U.K. visa rules, it is very challenging and expensive for students to switch from the 90-day visa required for the fall-only experience to the visa for the full-year students (which requires submissions of documents and approval before leaving the U.S.). Students can switch from fall-only to full-year up until registering for UEA courses in late March or early April, depending on academic scheduling. Students who wish to study at UEA (Humanities or Math and Sciences) should think carefully before applying for fall-only or full-year programs.

How do I get a visa?

Under new recommendations from UEA, semester-only students will need to apply for a Short Term Study Visa before arriving in the UK. Students will need to complete the online visa application, pay any fees associated with the visa, obtain their biometric data (e.g.: fingerprints), and submit previously gathered documents that are required for the visa via mail to the British Consulate. Academic year students will also need to complete the online visa application, pay any fees associated with the visa, obtain their biometric data (e.g.: fingerprints), and submit previously gathered documents that are required for the visa via mail to the British Consulate. Please consult the Visa Guidelines for your country of study.

Do I have to go to the consulate/embassy?

No, semester and year-long students do not need to go to the British Consulate offices. Semester-only and academic year students will have to complete the online visa application, pay any fees associated with the visa, obtain their biometric data (e.g.: fingerprints), and submit previously gathered documents that are required for the visa via mail to the British Consulate.

How much does a visa cost?

For semester-only students, the visa fee is currently set at £85; however, this amount is subject to change. For academic year students, the visa fee is currently set at £322; however, this amount is subject to change. Be sure to check the Consulate’s website for any fee change before you submit your visa paperwork.

How long does it take to receive my visa?

It can take at least 3 weeks to obtain a student visa once the Consulate has received your application materials.

If I’m not a U.S. passport holder, are there any additional requirements?

Yes, you will need to do your own research on visa requirements for citizens of your home country to study in the UK. The CGSE may be able to help you with the required documents. Also, you will need to inform International Student Services that you will be studying outside of the United States and discuss how you will remain in valid F-1 status during your studies abroad.

Will the Center help me with the visa?

Yes, we provide you with visa guidelines, as well as various required documents needed for the visa process.

Student Perspective

Global Ambassadors are returning study abroad students who serve as peer advisors for their program.  Please feel free to contact them for a global student perspective.




On-Site Staff

Professor of Psychology Marie Helweg-Larsen
Resident Director 2019-2021

On-Campus Coordinator


Center for Global Study and Engagement
Dickinson College

Layout wrapper table for buttons
Layout table containing buttons
This program is currently not accepting applications.